Founder’s Favorite – Chocolate Mousse
This month's Founder's Favorite recipe is for Chocolate Mousse! Snuggle up with a good book or whip up this crowd pleaser at your next dinner party. It's sure to be a hit and can be prepared in a pinch! Feel free to share your creations with me on Facebook!
Source: Modified from Ghirardelli Chocolate Mousse
Prep time 25 minutes
Total time 2hrs and 40 mins
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2¾ - 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 5 ounces dark/semi sweet chocolate
- 1 ounce milk chocolate
- Beat egg yolks in small bowl on high speed until thick and bright yellow (3 minutes).
- Gradually add sugar, beat.
- Heat 1 cup of heavy cream in saucepan over medium heat until hot (do not boil).
- Gradually stir half of hot cream into egg yolk mixture (to warm), then combine back into hot cream in saucepan.
- Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture is blended and thickens.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes, then add chocolate to mixture and stir until thick.
- Place in metal mixing bowl. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally, just until chilled.
- Beat remaining 2 cups whipping cream in chilled medium bowl on high until stiff.
- Mix 1 cup of whipping cream into chocolate mixture until blended.
- Fold remaining whipped cream (¾ - 1 cup) gradually into chocolate mixture until well blended. Note: 1 cup will result in lighter, creamier texture.
- Beat additional whipping cream in chilled medium bowl on high until stiff for optional topping.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve in cups or small dessert bowls. Top with additional whipped cream (optional).